Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The State of Print Media

I don't have time to write a long post, but I did want to get this out there, what's going on with print advertising? I just finished reading the Project for Excellence in Journalism's report on the state of the news media in 2009, and I have to say, it doesn't look good. I never thought I'd care so much about marketing, until I realized not anyone in the periodical publishing industry will hire a freelance editor when they're forced into an economic corner, a corner that requires them to cut costs.

One interesting thing that was suggested to me was to start talking to publishers "top line," or their revenue stream. But how do you make editorial about marketing or revenue? I'll have to give it some thought, because apparently the freelance editors days of (marginal) profitability are through, unless they can convince publishers freelance editors can increase revenue (and not just cut costs).

No comments:

Post a Comment